In light of all this cold and rainy weather, it seemed that a nice stew cooking in the oven would help warm things up. So off to my pantry and refrigerator I went.
I had a pound of stew meat, some veggies, and various other stew items to put together something hopefully delicious. As I started cooking, I realized I didn’t have any beef broth so I used chicken stock. If I made it again, I would likely use beef broth because it would be nice to have a bit more of that flavor – though this stew is still quite tasty.
- 1 pound stew meat (use more if you like more meat – I’m more of a vegetable person)
- 3 large carrots (I love carrots)
- I courgette – sliced into thick pieces and then halved
- 1 yellow onion – chopped
- 4 red potatoes (small to medium size), not peeled – cut into medium to large chunks
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups broth (beef preferred, I used chicken)
- Seasonings (I used thyme and pepper)
- 2 large cloves garlic
- I also used half a pack of onion soup mix (found that in the cupboard!)
I used my Dutch oven for the pot to cook in.
Heat oven to 350degrees F
Brown beef in the pot and then remove. Put onions in pot with a bit of oil and cook until tender, adding crushed garlic a minute or so before tender. Pour in stock, can of tomatoes, add beef and seasonings. Cover and place in oven for 1 hour or just a bit more. After the hour add to the mix the courgette, carrots, and potatoes. Cook for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and serve. SO tasty, and quite warming on a cold winter night.